Thursday, December 1, 2016

Sample of Developmental Editing

Dear Layton,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and talking with you about John “Feltharin” and his story. As we talked about in our meeting, I think this would be a fun and eclectic edition to our next issue of Catalpa, and I look forward to working with you to help work this article into our style and preferences (alongside your own) so that we can really make your article shine in print.
To recap, here are some of the suggestions we talked about for your piece. The intro you currently have is not needed. We can jump right into the story. Remember that we’ll have to go through and define some of the science concepts used here so that readers don’t get lost and can be more impressed by John’s accomplishments. Finding the right tone to use in this piece will further that interest the reader has for what John has done.
Another request is that I want more examples and details of John’s nerdy side. This gives him more personality, and helps me keep reading. How did he come up with his gaming name? That could be interesting and fun to find out.
Overall, the bones of the story are here and you can build on that and have a really solid piece. John is an interesting guy, and when I read this I want to know more about him. Your conclusion and the way you guide your piece along helps transport the reader through with no stalls. There are a few cosmetic things such as grammar and wording that we can go into as well when we have our face to face meeting. Those are minor though and should take no time at all to hash out. Again, I look forward to working with you, and please let me know if any of my initial notes are unclear or misguided.

Sincerely,

Erica Tuggle

Reflection on Sample of Editing
      This semester I learned that there are several different types of editing. Before, I was only comfortably aware of “copy editing.” Learning about developmental editing and getting the opportunity to practice this was helpful. It made me more aware of the steps and processes that editors have to go through upon receiving a piece and taking it all the way to publication. It’s an intensive and delicate process that many (my former self included) take for granted. In this portfolio, I am including one of my letters of revision that I gave to a writer during the developmental writing process.
     For each editing session, I preferred to have the document printed out in front of me. I feel like I catch mistakes and am able to work with sentences better when they are literally under my pen. The process of sharing my feedback with the other writers in the class was enjoyable, and it always felt like we were listening and being heard in these discussions. Talking about writing and playing with writing to bend it to our will is already something I enjoy, but having experienced writers to collaborate on these pieces was a bonus. While I did not adopt all the suggestions into my pieces, I welcomed all ideas that could aid my writing, When suggestions were made to me, I also was conscious of the reaction I was giving as well as internalizing. I took these feelings that I had upon hearing my piece “lacked focus” and was sure to frame my comments on a similar issue to my peers in such a way that they might receive it best. I think our class was extremely polite, warm and helpful. I never felt disrespected or picked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment