Thursday, December 1, 2016

Catalpa Editor Job Letter

Erica Tuggle
6017 Clark Road
Harrison, TN 37341
(423) 991-9955

November 8, 2016
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue,
Chattanooga, TN 37403 (Holt Hall)

Dear Dr. Jones and Catalpa Staff:

    I wish to put in my application for the position of editor of Catalpa. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the class this semester that is preparing the groundwork for the magazine. I would like to stay on as editor and offer my influence and skills to seeing this work to publication.
My experience that makes me an ideal candidate includes time as the yearbook editor for my high school and two years as the news editor for the University of Tennessee student run newspaper: The Echo. I learned the basics of InDesign, layouts, and writing copy for various different uses through these two outlets. After this, I was a staff reporter and assistant editor at a weekly newspaper called the Hamilton County Herald for two years. This gave me an eye for detail in fact checking and editing copy before publication. Furthermore, this put me on both sides of the table in writing these stories as well as being an editor that put the stories into format for press. I have also managed a high volume cafe for several years, with a staff of at least ten at all times under my direction. I worked together with this team to accomplish our sales goals, and frequently coached my staff in better standards and practices.
Currently, I teach four reading classes at Chattanooga State Community College. This has given me the ability to multitask on a new level, consider outside perspectives when designing assignments and tasks, and become extremely skilled in time management and meeting deadlines. In this capacity, I also look at different writing samples each day and determine how to train my students to be better writers. I can bring this skill to those who offer submissions for our magazine and to our staff submissions. I am a “big picture” person and can see how things will work out for a final product and outcome. At the same time, one of my favorite tasks is doing copy editing at the sentence level and picking out all those points that can make sentences work or fail.
Having seen a variety of publications in my career in print, I believe I can be an editor who brings experience and perspective to the ideas we generate. My skills and the collaborative team that we are forming for this magazine will lead to a successful first publication. I am a dedicated and hardworking person, and would welcome the opportunity to give what I have learned back to Catalpa. Please consider my application for this position. I look forward to working with you all.

Sincerely,

Erica Tuggle
Enc:     Resume
    Writing Sample



Reflection on Job Letter
     I have written many a job letter. The practice to write another one though was not a bad thing. I don’t always do the best job at promoting myself and my skills when I go into a job interview, but usually my cover letter and writing samples show my skill set fairly well. I’m on of those people who “looks good on paper.” My original job letter submission though, did not have a strong hook to get the employer interested in reading what I was about. Also, including the information about my time at Barnes and Noble could be cut as the least relevant piece of information in the letter. For revision, I might also throw in a fact I have run across in researching the company I am applying for. This could show a genuine tailored interest to this company.

No comments:

Post a Comment